Old Chicago Photos - ChicagoPhotoShop
Burnham and Root designed the previous home of the Art Institute of Chicago, which opened in 1885 at 404 South Michigan Avenue. The Chicago Club took over that building when the Art Institute moved into its current home on the east side of Michigan Avenue at Adams Street in 1892. It was designed by Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge. This building hosted several meetings in conjunction with the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893. 

http://encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/10593.html

Burnham and Root designed the previous home of the Art Institute of Chicago, which opened in 1885 at 404 South Michigan Avenue. The Chicago Club took over that building when the Art Institute moved into its current home on the east side of Michigan Avenue at Adams Street in 1892. It was designed by Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge. This building hosted several meetings in conjunction with the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893.

http://encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/10593.html